We all know we should be drinking more water (especially when given the choice between it and a coke), but many times that’s easier said than done. Our sweet tooth may get the best of us or we might even get busy and forget to drink as much as we should. We can relate.
It’s important to replenish the water we lose each day in order to keep our bodies functioning. While we’ve all heard we should be drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day, the amount you actually need varies from person to person. Things like how active you are, what climate you live in and your overall health can all affect how much water you need to drink.
A good rule of thumb is to drink whenever you are thirsty. Pay attention to your urine as well. If it is too dark, that’s your body’s way of telling you it needs more fluids.
Still not convinced you should ditch the soda for water? Check out these other amazing benefits…
1. It fuels your muscles — Hydrated muscles = strong muscles
2. It regulates your kidneys and bowels — Helping your body filter out toxins.
3. It keeps you energized — Tiredness is one of the first symptoms of dehydration, so next time you feel your eyes drooping, reach for a glass of water (not an energy drink).
4. It helps relieve pain — Sometimes all your achy muscles and joints need is a little hydration.
5. It boosts your brain — Research shows students have better grades when they drink water during exams.
6. It keeps your skin clear — Adult acne is the worst. Get rid of it by staying hydrated.
7. It helps you fight colds — While you might not be able to beat a cold with water, it will help minimize your symptoms and shorten its duration.
8. It makes you more productive — Meaning you’ll get more done each day.
9. It improves your mood — Drink water. Nobody likes a cranky pants.
10. Prevent headaches — Nothing ruins a day faster than a throbbing head. Stay hydrated and you’ll find you get them less often.
11. Save money — Soda and energy drinks are expensive. Water is free. You do the math.
If you find water to be boring, don’t be afraid to find ways to make it more enticing. Fruits and vegetables are high in water content so if you’d rather eat your water, go for it! Also, you could try adding fruits like lemons, strawberries and peaches to water to kick up the flavor a bit.
Experiment with different ways to encourage yourself to stay hydrated. Try carrying a water bottle around, or tell yourself you need to finish a glass of water with each snack and meal
Drinking water just makes your life all-around better. Keep your body hydrated, and you’ll soon find yourself feeling healthier and happier!